Instead of heading out to your local fast food joint, make your own air fryer popcorn chicken recipe at home! This menu item delivers a little crunch, a bit of tenderness, and a whole lot of flavor. It’s an excellent choice for busy families or for watching the big game.
There’s one thing you should know for sure: this is one meal that won’t leave you with leftovers. Serve alongside your favorite chicken dipping sauces, and watch it disappear!
Why This Recipe Works/ Why We Like This Recipe
- The air fryer cooking technique leaves the chicken crispy instead of soggy, and it’s all that healthier without the use of deep-frying oils and grease.
- You can make bigger batches of this and freeze your air fryer popcorn chicken and heat it up as you’d like.
- It’s versatile in a way that you can use it as a course for a meal – think little kids – or you can serve it as a snack!
What You Will Need
- Corn Chex Cereal
- Garlic Powder
- Chicken Breast
- Corn Starch or Tapioca Flour
- Cooking spray
- Air Fryer
- Blender or Food Processor
- Sheet Pan
How to Make This Airfryer Popcorn Chicken Recipe
After you gather everything you need, it’s time to get cooking!
Step 1. Blend the Corn Chex
Pour the corn chex into a blender or food processor. Blend them until they are ground down into a powder-like consistency. Dump into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Step 2. Season the Corn Chex Mixture
To the corn chex add salt, garlic powder, and pepper to the mixture. Stir up until well combined.
Step 3. Cut Up the Chicken Breast
Set the dry mixture off to the side. On a cutting board, cut the chicken breast into 1-inch cubes.
Step 4. Coat the Chicken
Add the starch to a gallon-size freezer bag. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Coat the chunks of chicken by placing small batches into the bag and shaking.
After the chicken is well and evenly covered, place it on a sheet pan and continue with the rest of the chicken breast in this manner until all the chicken is coated.
Step 5. Prepare the Egg Wash
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and a little water to thin. Whisk until smooth.
Step 6. Bread the Chicken
Set up the chicken, egg wash, and corn chex in a line. Start by placing small batches of the coated chicken in the egg wash. Shake off any extra. Then move to the corn chex mixture and toss the chicken until evenly covered.
Finally, place on a sheet pan until all the chicken is breaded.
Step 7. Air Fry the Chicken
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees. Add chicken to the basket. You can somewhat crowd the pan. Spray with a light coating of cooking oil spray.
Cook for 10 – 12 minutes, shaking halfway through. Dump chicken on a sheet pan with a wire rack to cool while continuing through with the rest of the cooking.
Step 8. Eat or Store
Once the chicken is cool, you can enjoy! Eat as is or dunk in your favorite flavored dipping sauces.
Another option is to store the cooked chicken in freezer bags and store it in the freezer to be reheated later. That can be done either in the microwave or by popping them back into the air fryer.
Note: Make sure you coat and bread the chicken in small batches. This ensures even coating and cooking.
Tips and Tricks
- Six eggs might be more than what you need. However, by using a little extra, you aren’t stuck trying to crack an egg with your hands covered in starch and breading.
- Designate one hand to be your wet hand and the other to be your dry hand during the breading process to make the process a little less messy.
- These can also be reheated in the microwave!
- Storage in the freezer allows for these to be reheated in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 5-8 minutes.
- The starch step can be skipped if desired. It’s more for texture than flavor.
Can I Use Another Cooking Method?
Yes. You can cook this chicken in a convection oven and get similar results. A conventional oven isn’t recommended, but if you choose to use the more traditional method, it’s suggested to place the chicken on a wire rack on the sheet pan to ensure adequate airflow.
Do I Have to Use Chicken Breast?
No. You can use whatever part of the chicken you like, as long it’s cut into one-inch cubes. Just know that the flavor and tenderness will vary a bit based on the type of meat.
How Can I Add More Flavor?
You can alter the seasonings you use to suit your taste preferences. For instance, add onion powder, cayenne pepper, or celery salt. Whatever you like will work to make this chicken even more flavorful.
As soon as you take a bite of this homemade air fryer popcorn chicken recipe, you will say goodbye to the other fast food options.
Serve it up at your next family game night, or sneak it in for a busy weekday meal. Whatever you decide, rest assured you’re going to want to keep this recipe handy because it’s going to become one of the most requested meals at your house!
Easy Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken RecipeCourse: Recipes
A healthier and tastier alternative to fast food popcorn chicken choices!
3 ¾ cups corn chex
4 ½ tsp. salt
6 tsp. garlic powder
3 tsp. pepper
6 lbs. chicken breast
¾ cup cornstarch
- Grind up corn chex in a blender.
- Pour corn chex, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a mixing bowl and blend.
- Cut up chicken breast into one-inch cubes
- Coat the chicken in small batches in the starch by shaking together in a ziplock bag. Place on a sheet pan.
- Prepare egg wash
- Dip chicken in egg wash, then coat in corn chex mixture. Place on a sheet pan
- Cook chicken in batches in an air fryer preheated to 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve or freeze