Dulce de Leche cake is a tender, moist butter cake filled with delightful, sweet, caramelized milk frosting. It comes with a hazelnut that adds a heavenly crunch with each bite. In Russia, people call this treat the Golden Key Cake because it resembles the famous caramel candy.
If you love nothing but caramel, we’re sure that Dulce de Leche Cake would make a fantastic addition to your dessert menu. So, what are you waiting for? Scroll down to learn more about this cake recipe!
Why People Like Dulce de Leche Cake
- Sweet Taste: People grew to love Dulce de Leche Cake because of its tender and moist texture with sweet caramel flavor. It’s a heavenly treat for breakfast since it goes well, whether with pancakes, waffles, or toast.
- Delightful Cream and Toppings: Once you have this cake, you’ll realize that each layer unfolds a creamy dulce de leche glaze. Plus, you’ll love the chocolate and roasted hazelnut sprinklings.
- Soaking Syrup: The sweet syrup topping makes Dulce de Leche cake stand out from the rest. The filling makes it flavorful and moist.
What You Will Need
Below is a quick list of the things you must prepare to create the best Dulce de Leche Cake recipe.
- All-purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Large Eggs
- Dulce de Leche
- Sour Cream
- Crushed Hazelnuts
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Large Pot
- Can Opener
- Wire Rack
- Pair of Tongs
- Mixing Bowl
How to Make Dulce de Leche Cake Recipe
Dulce de Leche cake is a crowd’s favorite, featuring a smooth and moist brown butter layer wrapped in silky buttercream and vanilla frosting. If you’re interested in this delightful treat, you won’t have to go to a fancy bakeshop to buy one.
So, without further ado, we’re dropping here eight steps to make your own Dulce de Leche Cake in your humble kitchen.
Step 1: Make the Cake
Start baking by preheating your oven to around 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Then, line the three round cake pans of 8 inches with parchment. Grease with flour and butter and set aside.
Step 2: Beat the Eggs
Using a large bowl, whisk and combine eggs and sugar until these ingredients doubled in volume. Do it around for five to six minutes.
Step 3: Add the Other Ingredients
In a separate bowl, stir the baking soda and sour cream. Afterward, add the egg mixture and slowly beat until incorporated. Blend the dulce de leche and divide the cake batter evenly between prepared pans.
Step 4: Get Ready to Bake
Go ahead and bake the cake for around 16 to 18 minutes. Or wait until the toothpick inserted in the cake’s center becomes cream. Set aside the cake from your and let it stay for 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 5: Prepare the Glaze
With a small saucepan, make the syrup. Whisk together the coffee, milk sugar, and heat water until the mixture becomes smooth. Bring these wet ingredients to a simmer and wait for the sugar to dissolve. Set aside.
Step 6: Let the Cake Cool
Invert the Dulce de Leche Cake from the baking pan and transfer it to the wire cooling rack. For 3o minutes, let the cake sit out and cool completely.
Step 7: Do the Frosting
Make it more exciting by doing the frosting. With a larg~e bowl, beat the butter and cream until it softens. Add the dulce de leche and slowly beat again until smooth and incorporated.
Step 8: Assemble the Cake
Finally, set aside the Dulce de Leche Cake on a plate with the bottom or flat side facing up. Then, spread one cup of frosting evenly on the cake to its edge. Then, sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts. Afterward, top it with the second Dulce de Leche cake layer. Fill the cake with the remaining frosting with hazelnuts.
Note: In making the best Dulce de Leche recipe, it’s best to be careful and not overbake the cake. When overcooked, the layers will be dry instead of the usual soft and fluffy texture this cake is famous for.
Tips and Tricks
To make it easier, here are the guaranteed tips and tricks to remember when creating your homemade Dulce de Leche Cake.
- Once you’re baking the Dulce de Leche Cake layers, it’s essential to keep them from sticking. Achieve this with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- When filling the Dulce de Leche Cake with syrup, it’s best to apply it evenly per layer. Using a squeeze bottle, spoon, or brush can do magic!
- Having a crushed hazelnut topping is the best for Dulce de Leche Cake. But if you can’t find one, go for roasted walnuts as a substitute.
- Always sift the flour. While this step may seem irrelevant, sifting is necessary. This process helps aerate the flour for a lighter, airy cake finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
For this part, come with us, and let’s answer the most frequently asked questions we received about Dulce de Leche Cake!
Are Dulce de Leche and Caramel Sauce Different?
While the two fillings have an uncanny resemblance, dulce de leche and caramel sauce are unique. One can find caramel sauce, a sweetened, caramelized condensed milk, much sweeter than dulce de leche. On the other side, dulce de leche is lighter in color hue, much creamier, and thicker.
What is Dulce de Leche Cake?
Dulce de Leche Cake is a pastry filled with browned batter wrapped with a dulce de leche frosting. It has an irresistible deep flavor of sweet caramel sauce. It’s the most famous sweet pastry in Uruguay and a popular confection in South America.
What is the Meaning Behind Dulce de Leche?
Dulce de Leche means “sweet from milk” since it’s produced by slowly heating sweetened milk until it becomes caramelized. Nowadays, the crowd hailed Dulce de Leche Cake as one of the famous confections in the continent of South America. People love to have it with toast or as a delightful add-on to their cakes and pastries.
For cake lovers, Dulce de Leche is a heavenly treat. Its famous filling balances the sweet, luscious caramel flavor. And yes, it’s a delightful dessert to wrap fancy holiday meals with lip-smacking frosting. So, if you’re interested in offering this on your dining table, check out this recipe and enjoy the taste of heaven!
Best Dulce de Leche Cake RecipeCourse: RecipeCuisine: Dessert
Enjoy the slice of heaven with this luscious Dulce de Leche caked with deep caramel flavor.
2 Cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup of white sugar
¾ cup of softened, unsalted butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
¾ cup of whole milk
¾ cup of chopped, toasted hazelnuts
3 pieces of large eggs (room temperature)
- For the Frosting
½ teaspoon of salt
½ cup of dulce de leche
3 cups of powdered sugar (unsifted)
- For the Glaze
¼ cup of dulce de leche
Two tablespoons of whole milk
- Preheat the oven and put flour and butter into the round cake pans.
- Whip eggs, salt, and sugar in a bowl for 10 minutes.
- Once you’re done whisking, blend the sour cream, dulce de leche, and baking soda.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold the cake batter until it thoroughly softens.
- Divide the cake batter evenly into two baking sheet plans. Bake it for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove Dulce de Leche Cake from the oven. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Assemble Dulce de Leche cake with syrup and crushed hazelnut toppings.
- Refrigerate Dulce de Leche cake for three hours.
- Serve and enjoy!