This hot honey chicken sandwich recipe is easy to put together but can undoubtedly be a crowd-pleaser. It can offer juiciness but also crunchiness. On the other hand, it has some saltiness to it but also some sweetness. To top it all up, a bit of spiciness for some bite!
As you can see, it has a little bit of everything to satisfy a palate. If you have some guests coming over or a grumbling stomach to appease, you can reach for this recipe.
Why This Recipe Works/ Why We Like This Recipe
- Easy to put together. The ingredients for this recipe are easy to find, the steps are easy to follow, and it does not take a lot of time!
- A crowd-pleaser. This recipe can easily win stomachs. It is tasty and can easily tickle tastebuds.
- It has a little bit of everything. It can be juicy and crunchy, and it can also be salty and sweet. To top it all up, it can be filling but not bloating. One could say that it gets the best of both worlds! It can be an ideal meal for times when indecisiveness kicks in.
What You Will Need
- Garlic Powder
- Onion powder
- Cajun Seasoning
- Hot Sauce
- All-Purpose Flour
- Corn Starch
- Cayenne Pepper
- Celery Salt
- Habanero Pepper
How to Make Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Do you have your ingredients and tools ready? If so, let us get cooking!
Step 1. Season the Chicken
Put your cleaned, boneless skinless chicken thighs in a big bowl, and season them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Cajun seasoning, and hot sauce. Make sure you give everything a good mix to cover all the chicken thighs.
Step 2. Make the Dry Mix
Set the chicken thighs to marinate on the side for around 30 minutes.
Get another bowl and dump your flour and cornstarch in there. Throw in some pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning, and celery salt. Mix.
Step 3. Make the Hot Honey Sauce
Set the dry mix to the side.
Get a saucepan, dump the honey, and add cayenne pepper and a slit habanero pepper. Put the pan on the stove on low heat. Swirl from time to time.
Step 4. Prepare the Buns
Get the buns and butter them. After that, put them in the oven for around 5 minutes. Feel free to extend the time if you like your buns extra toasty.
Set the buns to the side.
Step 5. Bread the Chicken
By now, the chicken should be ready.
Get the chicken, add the eggs, and mix. After that, get the dry mix and start breading the chicken. Make sure each chicken is well covered, but do not go overboard.
Step 6. Fry the Chicken
Get a pan, and heat the oil at medium heat. Once things are hot, start putting the chicken thighs. Make sure the chickens are submerged. Fry the chicken until they are golden brown (around 15 minutes).
Step 7. Assemble the Sandwich
Turn off the heat.
Once the chickens are ready, you can start covering them with the hot honey sauce. Finally, you want to get the buns and pile on your chicken, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and mayonnaise.
You can skip the lettuce, tomato, cheese, and mayonnaise. Instead, you can use hot sauce to pack the heat. The hot honey chicken will also do well alone.
Tips and Tricks
- Let the chicken marinate overnight. Marinating for half an hour is already enough. However, consider marinating overnight if you want flavorful chickens.
- Do not forget to check on the sauce. The hot honey sauce is probably the easiest part of this recipe, but it could easily be a problem if you neglect it.
- Go easy on the cayenne pepper. It could be easy to pack on the heat if you want more. On the other hand, reducing it is not so. There are many things that make this recipe spicy already. You might want to keep that in mind with every dash of the cayenne pepper you add.
- Do not skip the cornstarch and egg. Breading things could be easy, but keeping the breading there is not always so. The cornstarch and the egg will help you with this problem. Do not skip them even if you think they will not do much with the flavor.
Can I Use Other Chicken Parts?
Yes. If you do not want to use chicken thighs, you can opt for chicken breasts. On the other hand, while wings are a delicious choice, it is not ideal for this recipe. It could be hard to bite them, and making them boneless is not an option.
How Can I Adjust the Heat?
You do not have to worry if you are not a fan of spicy things. As long as you can take a bit of heat, there is a way to enjoy this recipe.
You can tone down the cayenne pepper all throughout the process. On the other hand, you can also skip adding it to the dry mix. To add, you can also opt for a hot sauce that is not, well, too hot.
How Can I Adjust the Sweetness?
If you find your hot honey sauce is too sweet for your liking, you can add some hot sauce to the mix if you do not mind packing on the heat. On the other hand, you can add some vinegar instead if the heat of the hot honey sauce is already good for you.
How Can I Keep the Chicken Crispy?
Do not let your cooked chicken sit in a bowl. Not even if it has paper towels. If you have one, it would be best to let them rest on a wire rack. If not, let the chicken rest on anything similar.
Did you love our hot honey chicken sandwich recipe? We think you’ll also enjoy diving into our ‘Hot Honey Chicken Recipes‘ collection. Keep savoring the flavor journey with us!
The hot honey chicken sandwich recipe is a handy recipe. As you have seen today, it is easy to put together, and as you will taste when you take your first bite, it can be a crowd-pleaser! We hope we got to help you with adding a new recipe to your list today. If you want more, you can check out our other talks.
Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich RecipeCourse: Recipes
A crowd-pleaser chicken recipe that is easy to put together!
1 lb of Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
2 Cups of Oil
12 oz Honey
1 Habanero Pepper Slitted
3 tsp of Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Cup of Hot Sauce
2 tsp of Salt
2 tsp Pepper
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion powder
2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
2 Cup of All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup of Corn Starch
1 tsp Celery Salt
3 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Mayonnaise
8 Leaves of Lettuce
8 Slices of Tomato
8 Slices of Cheese
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Cajun seasoning, and hot sauce. Let it marinate for around 30 minutes.
- Make the dry mix by mixing flour, cornstarch, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning, and celery salt together.
- Make the hot honey sauce by mixing the honey with the habanero pepper and cayenne pepper. Put on low heat for around 15 minutes.
- Butter the buns. Toast for around 5 minutes.
- Bread the chicken with the dry mix.
- Fry the breaded chicken on medium heat for around 15 minutes.
- Cover the chicken with the hot honey sauce and assemble it with the cheese, mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato.