Taco cravings do not only come on Tuesdays! It comes any day, any time. It is a relief that tacos are easy and quick to make. Likewise, it does not need any equipment, as long as you have a stove top, and the ingredients, you are good to go.
This recipe is out of the usual, as people are more accustomed to ground beef tacos. But, shredded chicken is saucier and packed with bold flavors. If you need a taco fix, this recipe is for you.
Why Does This Recipe Work?
This shredded chicken taco recipe is intended for those who crave Mexican treats yet want to prepare them at home.
- Simple recipe. You do not need special equipment to prepare the ingredients. A stovetop, pan, and fork are the only kitchenware you need. The ingredients are easy to find, and all of these ingredients are available at the grocery.
- Bold flavor and is customizable. Chicken for tacos is not an ordinary meat option, most are used to grounded beef. This shredded chicken taco recipe has its charm; it is flavorful and customizable.
- Easy meal preparation. The shredded chicken filling works perfectly with other Mexican recipes such as burrito bowls and taco salads. If you love to prepare meals ahead, and you change your mind, you can use it for other recipes.
You do not have to fuss about making a separate sauce or marinating the chicken; just prepare the ingredients and follow the simple steps.
Things You Need
- Skinless and boneless chicken thighs or breast
- Olive oil
- Tomato Paste
- Cayenne Sauce
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
- Cumin Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Lime Juice (or Cider Vinegar, Apple Juice, Lemon Juice)
- Hard Taco Shells
- Cilantro Leaves
- 2 Forks
- Cutting board
- Serving Bowl
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe
Step 1: Poach chicken breast or thigh
Place the skinless and boneless chicken breast or thigh in the pan. Pour enough water to cover the chicken.
Set the stovetop on medium-high heat, when it starts boiling, lower the heat and let it simmer for 12 minutes. If you have a kitchen thermometer, you can check if the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not let it dry and overcook.
Separate the chicken and save the broth for the taco sauce.
Step 2: Prepare the taco sauce
In the same pan you used, add 2 tablespoons of chicken broth. Cook the garlic cloves for 30 seconds and add the olive oil, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin powder, paprika, and lime juice. Stop stirring until the sauce becomes a loose paste.
Coat the chicken with the taco sauce.
Step 3: Sear and shred the chicken
You have to sear the chicken to make the taco sauce absorbed further. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the sides for 3 minutes, or until it is seared slightly. Put aside the sauce residue and bring the chicken to a cutting board.
Shred the chicken using two forks.
For an elevated take on Shredded Chicken, I’d recommend browsing our ‘21 Best Shredded Chicken Recipes‘ article.
Step 4: Serve taco
Return shredded chicken to the sauce residue and let it simmer for 2 minutes and reduces to a thin syrup consistency. Transfer the shredded and saucier chicken to a serving bowl. Warm the taco shell of your choice. Add the chicken filling, tomato, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream.
Easy, right? There are a few tricks to make your shredded chicken taco more delicious.
Warm taco shells.
Stuff the shredded chicken, and add a light pour of sauce.
Place diced avocado, diced tomato, diced cilantro leaves, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese and sour cream on top of the chicken.
Tips and Tricks for Making Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe
No one wants to have a dry shredded chicken for their taco. When you prepare for poaching, pour enough water into the pan to cover the chicken. You have to expect the water evaporate as it boils and simmers. Do not let the chicken overcook and dry.
Some want their taco spicy, but no one wants it bitter. Overcooked garlic tastes bitter. Only cook the garlic for a minute and add the other ingredients quickly. Although taco toppings differ with personal preference, we have some tips to double the yum:
- Use Mexican blend cheese, grated cheddar, cotija cheese, or your favorite cheese.
- Shredded fresh vegetables make the tacos a special treat. You can top some salsa or guacamole.
- Sour cream topping balances the spiciness, and squeezing lime or lemon juice gives a perfect finish.
Making the shredded chicken taco is easy. But having these tips and tricks will give you a more delicious result.
What chicken cut is best for shredding?
The best chicken cut for shredding is boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs. Although the thighs are moister, chicken breast will do, as long as it is boneless and skinless.
How many minutes needed to boil chicken for shredding?
It depends on the size of the chicken. Place the pan on medium heat, and you can boil and let it simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature shows 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Turn off the heat and let it cool slightly for 5 to 10 minutes.
What are the ways to shred chicken?
You can do two ways to shred chicken; using two forks or a stand mixer. You have to place the chicken on a cutting board or plate, and use two forks in shredding the chicken meat. If you have a stand mixer, it is the easiest and fastest way to shred chicken.
Some might have the urge to use their hands to shred the chicken. The reason why it is excluded from the ways is it might cause harm; the insides are still extremely hot even when the chicken is cooled for a bit. Hence, use a fork.
You do not have to worry about late-night taco cravings. This shredded chicken taco recipe is easy to follow and gives you a heavenly twist with its sauce! In no time, this becomes one of your favorite menus.
Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe — 4 Easy Steps Get that Taco Fix!Course: Recipes
Get your taco fix with this Shredded Chicken Taco recipe, and double the fun by making the taco sauce with the same broth! Make it simple and exciting. No marinating is required.
700 grams (or 1 pound) of chicken thighs or breast, skinless and boneless
250 ml (or 1 cup) of chicken broth, separated
5 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Taco Sauce Ingredients
½ teaspoon cayenne sauce, optional or adjust spiciness to preference
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
3 teaspoon cumin powder
3 teaspoons paprika
3 tablespoon lime juice (or lemon juice, cider vinegar, or apple juice)
- Place chicken breasts in a pan and cover with water. Set the stove on medium-high heat until it boils, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it sit for 12 minutes or until the temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Separate the chicken and save the broth for later.
- Place the taco sauce ingredients in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp of the chicken broth and mix with the ingredients. Stop until it forms a loose paste.
- Coat the chicken with the taco sauce paste.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each side of the chicken for 3 minutes until it is seared lightly. Put aside the sauce residue. Place the chicken on a plate.
- Return the skillet to the stove. Add the remaining chicken broth, tomato paste, sugar, and sauce residue. Mix the ingredients to dissolve and let it simmer.
- Place the chicken on the cutting board and shred the chicken using forks. If the inside looks raw, do not worry.
- Return the chicken to the skillet with the sauce. Let the chicken simmer for 2 minutes until the sauce consistency becomes a thin syrup. Adjust salt to taste and add water if the sauce reduces too fast.
- Transfer the shredded chicken and sauce to a serving bowl.